Quilting is a kind of sewing process where two or more fabrics are sewed together to form a quilt, or anything related to quilting. Different kind’s outstanding materials are used for quilting to create something unique and attractive at the same time.
How To Choose The Best Quilting Fabric?
1. Trying pre-cut Collections
For the beginners who have just started knowing about this particular process, precut quilting collection is the best to recommend. It is expensive yet best for beginners to understand the process in detail. It has different sizes or scales with many unique prints. Some of them are as following-
- Random dots
- Small scale print
- Large scale print
- Striped variations
- Medium scale print
2. Color Theory
While choosing quilting fabric color theory is one of the important points to keep in mind. Before buying the fabrics for quilting, it is important to know the color theory. This will help to choose fabrics easily. Basically, primary colors are used more frequently than the complementary and tertiary colors in this particular process.
3. Scale Measurement
While choosing fabrics, scale measurement is very important. It depends on the purpose for which quilting fabric is going to be used for. Thus, while purchasing the fabrics, a person should know the tricks of primary scale measurement of the quilt fabrics.
4. Looking for Most Comfortable Fabric
Most of the common fabric in quilting is cotton which is inflammable and also comfortable and soft. The soft texture of the cotton and its longevity gives the best result as quilting fabric.
5. Paired with the Print
The fabric of the quilt should be related with the print on it. The combination of the fabric and the print should be attractive, and it plays a great role in quilting as well.
What Is The Best Quilting Fabric Available?
Choosing quilt fabric is not that easy. You need to keep many points including the above-mentioned tips in mind before making the final decision. Here are some of the best fabrics that are useful and perfect as the quilting fabric available in the market.
1. Quilter’s Weight Cotton – Qualities which make it a champion of the other fabrics are-
- 100% cotton fabric
- Shrinkage is the least
- It leads to least bleed (less color detention)
- Used as the best material for clothing too
2. Home Décor Weight Cotton – Qualities which makes it a good quilt fabric are-
- Heavy fabric material
- Satin finish
- Used for making extra home accessories like cushion covers, pillows, cushions
- Used for straight up quilting because of its heaviness
3. Voile – Qualities which makes it best suitable for dresses and clothing are-
- Silky transparent cotton
- Basically, used for making scarves and skirts
- Used by most of the fashion designers
- Has a softer and silkier finish
4. Essex Linen – Qualities which make it suitable for home décor projects are-
- Used for sewing clothes as well
- Texture includes cotton and linen both
- Resembles quilter weight cotton in some aspects
5. Quilter’s Linen – Qualities which the particular fabric possess are-
- All cottony and linen look
- Plays the same role as of quilter’s weight along
- Used for home décor accessories
Use of quilting has become widened nowadays and has provided employment to millions of designers today. Knowing the real fabric of quilting is one of the main jobs make the creation perfect. All the other points to keep in mind while working on quilting is the designs and sewing techniques.