If you are an occasional wine drinker, then storing a few bottles of wine in your fridge beside your milk cartons may not seem like a big deal. However, there are quite a few wine enthusiasts among us who are suckers for a good bottle of wine. These wines can be quite expensive and delicate and deserve a home of their own. If your wine collection is increasing steadily with your love for wine, it is time for you to buy a large wine fridge.
How to Purchase the Right Wine Fridge of Large Size?
Here are a few useful tips that will help you to buy a wine fridge large enough to store all of your expensive and delicate wines in.
- How Many Wines Do You Want to Store: Deciding this factor can be the first step to narrowing down the kind of wine fridge that you want to buy. If you have a fairly small collection of wines, about 50 bottles or less, you can opt for a fridge that does not have separate cooling zones. By setting the wine fridge temperature at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, you can ensure that both your reds and white wines are in the ideal temperature.However, if your collection is over 50 bottles, you might want to go for a large wine fridge with separate cooling zones. This way, you can keep your red and white wine in two different zones in your wine fridge with different temperature settings; ideal to ensure that all of your wines are aging gracefully.
- The Door: When looking for a wine fridge to purchase for your house, functionality is one of the biggest factors that you will be looking for. However, most people will opt for a wine fridge that is aesthetically pleasing also. Many wine fridges are equipped with glass doors on the front which allow their guests to admire their wine collection. However, the insulation of these wine fridges is not good. Instead, go for a wine fridge with a tinted sort of glass or tempered glass. This way, the strong UV rays will stay out of the homes of your expensive wines, keeping them cooler for longer and also helping them age better.
- Humidity Control: Just like temperature is an important factor in the preservation of wines, so is humidity. When looking for a large wine fridge for your home, look for one with a humidity control setting or a vaporizer. This way, you can maintain a 50-60% humidity in your wine fridge, which is an ideal setting. If the humidity settings are too low, the wine corks can become dry and form cracks, which in turn would allow the flow of air into the bottle. Too high humidity will create mould on the wine cork.
- Door Lock: This tip can be especially helpful for those who are looking to buy a wine fridge for their restaurant, or for a home which has pets and kids. Some of the advanced wine fridges come with a door lock safety feature. This can be very helpful, if you do not want nosy customers to constantly open the wine fridge at your restaurant, or if you don’t want your kids getting into your wine at home.
- Automatic Defrost: This can be a helpful feature you should look out for when buying a wine fridge. An automatic defrost technology will ensure that your precious wine bottles do not form an icy layer of frost on them by over chilling. The automatic defrost feature warms up the heating coil to thaw out the frost layers whenever necessary.
Buying a wine fridge can be quite an investment. Use these helpful tips to ensure that you buy a wine fridge which will serve all your requirements.