Whether you are planning to renovate your present home or designing a new one, right window treatment is crucial to give a perfect finishing touch to your home. There are many practical and aesthetic reasons why window treatment is important. As you go shopping for these, you will come across plethora of options that can be used on these windows. Plantation shutters and blinds are some of the most commonly used window treatments. But how do you know whether you have to choose the former or the later. Before discussing the pros and the cons of plantation shutters and blinds lets understand what these window treatments are.
What is Plantation Shutter?
Plantation shutters were first used in plantation farms of Spain and this is how it got the name. Unlike traditional window shutters these shutters have wider slats and the angles at which these slates are placed are also quite wide. It is a widely used window treatment not only in Europe but also across globe.
What are Blinds?
Blinds are another option available to the people who prefer clean and stark lines over soft drapes. Blinds are available in horizontal and vertical pattern and match the interiors very well. These blinds are mounted over the window and are quite convenient to use.
Plantation Shutters VS Blinds!
- Since plantation shutters are installed within the window frames, they are more substantial and permanent in their appearance. This can be the key reason why it has to potential to give you better return on investments at the time of selling the house. On the contrary blinds are mounted on the top of the window frame and their appearance is not so substantial and may not be counted at the time of ROI.
- Plantation shutters offer maximum air flow and light for comfortable atmosphere inside the house. May be this is the reason why people living in the tropics prefer plantation shutters over other kind of window treatments. Slats of plantation shutters are wide, they are arranged at a wide angle and they can be easily opened and closed. Manual climate control became quite convenient with the use of plantation shutters.
- When it comes to structural convenience the point goes to the blinds. Horizontal blinds can be easily moved up and down with the help of a cord. You can even leave the blinds halfway up if you do not want excess light, heat or air in the room. On the contrary plantation shutters cannot be moved up and down. The slats can be opened and closed by the divider rail or the entire shutter can be opened in the room like a door. You will not get the luxury of controlling it with just a cord or a remote.
- Talking about aesthetic value of the two, each one of it has something or other to offer. On one hand plantation shutters are available in wood, faux wood and vinyl; on the other hand blinds are available plastic, aluminum and other such material. Plethora of colors and designs are available in both plantation shutters and the blinds. All you have to consider while shopping is that the selected window treatment should match the decor and character of the room.
- Energy efficiency is another crucial factor that can affect the choice of window treatment. Plantation shutters are much more energy efficient as they are completely covering the window. The heat gained by the house in summers and heat lost by the house in winters will reduce considerably when windows are covered with plantation shutters.
So make sure that you consider your specific needs and then go for the appropriate plantation shutters and blinds.