A child with a learning disability can be clever, and can still experience substantial cognitive complications. Learning disorders causes’ brain impairment and it prevent it from processing information. A child with learning disability may face challenges as they grow; it can prevent them from studying by affecting their performances and can also affect their relationship with friends, families and colleagues.
Learning disorder can be noticed in a child once they start getting the formal education. They can show the following symptoms such as:
- Unable to memorize certain things
- Unable to follow instructions
- Problems with hand eye coordination
- Unable to distinguish between alphabets, sound and figures
- Wants to say something but means something else
- Faces problem in hearing the words correctly
- Incapable of distinguishing between left and right
- Delayed speech development
- Get confused with the sequence of words and letters
- Faces problem in understanding concepts or logic behind a particular thing
- Undisciplined and does not remember instructions
Apart from all these symptoms, a child with learning disorder faces problem to learn about the days of the week, colors, numbers and alphabets. Moreover; they find it difficult to learn basic concepts of mathematics and relation between letters and sounds. As they grow into a teenager they tend to avoid reading loud, and write in a poor handwriting, and also to express their thoughts aloud in the classroom.
Before understanding the learning plans & learning disorder assessment, one should know about the types of common learning disorders:
- Dyslexia: This is an issue with the reading skill and it includes problems such as normal language skills, recognizing words and letter and understanding concepts.
- Dyscalculia: This is also known as learning disability in mathematics. In this type of disorder the child faces problem understanding the basic concepts of math such as how to count, memorizing formulas.
- Dysgraphia: In this type of learning disorder, the child faces problem when writing. This can cause problems such as untidy writing skills, spelling mistakes, unable to relate to the thoughts and write-ups etc.
- Dyspraxia: This causes problem with the hand and eye coordination as a result of which the child may face problem when holding a pencil or a pen.
- Aphasia/dysphasia: In this type of learning disorder, the child cannot communicate properly. This affects the fluency of the speech and the problem of understanding specific words and phrases.
In case of such problems, the parent of the child should immediately take him or her to the doctor so that the treatment can start as early as possible. The learning plans & learning disorder assessment consists of various steps including testing of learning disabilities and specific features of the learning process. Recently, more contemporary neurocognitive assessment tools have been developed to point out precisely different cognitive deficiencies.
The learning plans & learning disorder assessment includes observing the children meticulously to find out if any learning problems are there. This also includes helping the child who has been assessed with learning disorder with educational assistance so that he or she can progress.
The learning plans & learning disorder assessment also consist of special treatments which include:
- Special Education Services: Once a child has been diagnosed with learning disorder, special education service need to be provided to support the child.
- IEPs: This is individualized education program which is customized for the child so that he or she can learn how to read and write.
- Classroom modifications: This includes making few changes to the classroom such as giving the child additional help so that he or she can match with his or peers.
Apart from this, special teaching techniques, use of technology and tools and memory aids and computers are also included for the child.