The popularity of solar hot water systems is increasing more and more. Many people are opting for this option. Before you go for installing one at your house, however, you should know about it fully.
What is a solar heater and how does it work?
A thermal heater which heats water through the natural solar energy is known as solar heater. The solar panel absorbs light energy from the sunlight and converts it into heat energy. The energy is then removed by some heat transfer liquid, which is usually water. It can also be any anti-freeze. Most of the systems use a small pump through which the heat transfer liquid is circulated. It is transferred to a store from where it can be used later on, or it can also be directly transferred to the place where it is needed right then. The storage is generally a hot water cylinder. There is a requirement for a backup heat source. This is required to make sure that the water is heated to a sufficient temperature at those times when the sunlight is not sufficient to produce enough energy. The water present in the cylinder is connected to the taps as well as the showers so that you can use it at your home according to your convenience.
What are the benefits of solar thermal heater?
- This technology is the cheapest among all the technologies that work on renewable energy.
- This is a one-time solution. The upfront cost is a bit high but once you are done with the installation, it will save you all the high bills that come to your house every time. Moreover, the price of gas and electricity is rising each moment. Therefore with this installation, you will actually benefit a lot in terms of economy.
- This appliance can work alongside the other major technologies that heat up water. It will not create any kind of hindrance to them.
- With this equipment, all your requirements of hot water will be fulfilled around the year. Getting hot water won’t be a problem in the months of summer. In winter, however, when the sun is not so strong and bright or when the sky is cloudy for many days, you may have to top up the thermal system with a boiler or any primary heat source.
- Using solar energy saves the environment. There is no pollution generated by this system. The use of renewable source of energy also ensures that it does not use up or exhaust the limited resources of the earth.
Tips to make maximum use of the solar heater
If you wish to make the most of this appliance then you should take care of the following factors:
- You should definitely have a hot water cylinder. The cylinder stores the heat and keeps it stored until the time you want to use it.
- You should make sure that you use the heating controls so that you can adjust the running times and keep it in accordance with your requirements all throughout the year.
- Try to save the hot water. At night there will be no sun and hence your solar heater cannot generate hot water then. Therefore, it is best to save it for the later part of the day.
- Use the backup heating only when you are in need of that. If you keep using it continually then you may find your cylinder empty at the time when you will actually need hot water.
A very important tip is that you should not waste the water just because you are getting it heated for free. Keep the taps and showers closed when it is not in use. Many people have the tendency to keep them open as there is no electric unit rising. Remember that though it does not use energy in a direct way, energy is required to clean and transport it.
Hope you get all information about hot water systems. Let’s go to the detail and get more info.