Plastering is the type of home improvements which many people manage to handle by themselves. However, best results can be achieved only by hiring professionals. Plaster is one of the building materials used for holding structures that are made of wood or similar materials. There is also internal plastering available to smoothen surfaces and for decoration purposes. Moreover, this material also adds strength to ceiling or wall and seal building materials perfectly. There are many types of plastering supplies used for improving home maintenance. Plastering can be done any time when required. The main purpose for plastering walls is to make them waterproof and protect from other elements.
Types of Plastering:
Some notable types of plastering are:
- Gypsum based plaster: This type is used mainly for interior works. It is malleable enough to manipulate and sand down even when it is dry.
- Cement based: This type is made of three parts of sand plaster and one part of cement. This is mainly used for exterior walls to waterproof. This type is also used for inner walls, which are susceptible to damp.
- Browning: This is used as a backing layer especially for porous materials like clay, brick, and masonry. Further, it is used for preparing and sealing material before the main coat is applied.
- Bonding: This is used as backing coat on stone, concrete and any other non-porous materials.
- One coat: Used base or finishing layer.
- Top coat: This is a finishing material that is skimmed across as final layer for forming a smooth and even surface that becomes ready for decorating.
- Lime: This is a commonly used and environmentally friendly substance that absorbs water. This is particularly used in old walls. This type can be time consuming to apply and expensive when compared to any other types.
There are also some other types of plastering supplies used for construction works. They are:
- Sand faced: First coast of this type is done with cement mortar in 1: 4 proportion with coarse sand. After curing plaster for about 7 days, a second coat is done on first coat at the ratio of 1:3. The Sponge is usually used in second coat. Surface plastered is watered for at least 15 days.
- Rough Cast: This is the mixture of gravel and sand. Base consists two coats of which, under layer will be about 12mm thickness and top layer will be of 10 mm thickness.
- Plain face: This is also known as smooth cast, which has the finish similar to sand faced. Fine grained sand is generally used for this type and sponging is not required. This type of plastering is done mainly on the inner walls.
- Terrazzo finished plastering: This is generally of 18 mm thickness with terrazzo finish. It is rubbed and polished well to get fine finish.
- External wall cladding: This is done by using stone called, Dholpur stone.
There are also other types of plastering used for construction works and they include: washed stone grit, de peter, pebble dash and more. With many choices available, selecting the right one will help getting fine finish with a beautiful touch on the wall. However, appropriate type and supplies must be chosen.
These are the different types of plastering supplies. To know more information about plastering supplies then let’s go the details and get more idea.