Patient slings are necessary for hospitals, medical units and diagnostic centers. Manual handling of patients is a risky task but with the patient slings you can move patients from one floor to another without any difficulty. Patient slings are the moving and handling equipment designed with special fabric and used for transferring a patient form bed to wheelchair or vice versa by attaching him to the hoists. If you select and use the sling correctly then you can easily lift or move the patient safely, and it is suggested to avoid manual transfer for low mobility patients.
What are the advantages of patient slings?
- If you need to move a heavy weight patient then you need to be very careful and you have to employ other people to help you transfer the patient from one place to another. In such cases, patient slings come to the rescue. They can help you move the patients in a safer way. You can easily move a patient with slings, without any additional help.
- There are high chances for orthopedic injuries during lifting patients and such injuries can be prevented by using the patient slings.
- Some patients cannot move or bend their body as they have acute injuries. So you need these patient slings to move them from one place to another.
- For emergency cases, you may need to lift or move the patient to the operation theatre anytime and in this situation wastage of time is not permissible. So now you can use these slings to move them quickly.
Different types of patient slings available in the market:
There are different kinds of patient slings available in the market such as high swings slings, stand assistant slings, easy fit slings, comfort slings and toileting slings. You need to choose the best quality slings according to your needs. For more details regarding this, you can also discuss about the types of slings with the manufacturer and they will suggest you the best sling for your needs.
- Universal sling: These slings can be easily applied to the patients for general lifting and moving purposes.
- Toileting sling: This is not a general-purpose sling, and this is specially designed with seat to seat transfer facility. You can provide toileting facility to the patients with this sling and this sling has own free-stand for holding the cloths and other medical accessories of the patient.
- Comfort slings: This is a customizable sling which you can design according to your needs. This sling especially allows the correct positioning to the patients.
Why would you use patient slings?
Patient slings can provide full facilities to the patients and their caregiver. Caregivers can reduce their stress and risk while they handle non-responsive patients. With the toilet slings, you can easily transfer the patient to the toilet and replace the incontinence pad quickly. Apart from that, you can also find the hygienic patient slings which are designed to be used in the bathroom. Patients can loosen or remove the adjustable slings alignments as and when needed. Also, these slings can help them to keep their privacy. Even they can easily wash without any assistance. Comfort slings are specially designed with nylon materials and this soft material can prevent bedsores in the patients.
When you use the patient slings, you need to make sure that the patient should be fitted property within the sling, and after attaching the patient to the sling you can transfer them with the mechanical lift. If you use the wheelchair for shifting the patient to mechanical lift then you need to use the sling and carry them close to the lifts first.